The Indian automotive industry continues to make significant strides forward with the introduction of indigenized high-tech yet low-cost vehicles. Tata Motors recently launched the Tata Tiago, a small and affordable electric vehicle (EV) in India.
Tata Tiago is an all-electric subcompact hatchback with no direct competitors. In terms of dimensions, however, it competes with the Suzuki Celerio (Cultus in Pakistan), the United Alpha, and the Kia Picanto.
The vehicle has the following features:
- 2 battery sizes — 24 kWh that allows for 315 km range (MIDC) and 19.2 kWh that allows for 250 km range
- Automatic climate control standard
- 8-speaker Harman Kardon sound system
- Cruise control
- 4 regenerative braking modes
- Multi-drive modes
It has a McPherson strut suspension up front and a torsion bar coil-spring suspension in the back. It also has 4-wheel disc brakes with ABS technology. Tiago offers several basic features such as:
- Immobilizer System
- Powered Windows
- Keyless Entry
- ISOFIX Child Seat Anchors
- Reverse Camera
- Parking Sensors
- Digital Instrument Cluster
- Smart Infotainment System with APPLE Carplay Connectivity
- Manual AC
Tiago EV is one of the cheapest EVs in India, with a starting price of $10,370 (INR 849,000), or nearly Rs. 2.5 million, and deliveries begin in January 2023.